Thursday, April 23, 2009

By this we should be known

Lasting examples of a particular time in history are the ways people live or the things people think. Writers, historians, archeologists, philosophers and scientists reveal the past through heroes and stars of the day. Who are our heroes defined by their inner values (not by accidents of fate? Who are our stars by consensus? In our time, we shall be known by our shallowness, anti-intellectualism, false heroes and rock star status President. Will we also be remembered for sentiments such as these by Josiah Gilbert Holland?

My dear, dumb friend, low lying there,
A willing vassal at my feet,
Glad partner of my home and fare,
My shadow in the street,

I look in to your great brown eyes,
Where love and loyal homage sine,
And wonder where the difference lies,
Between your soul and mine!

For all of good that I have found
Within myself or human kind,
Hath royally informed and crowned
Your gentle heart and mind.

I scan the whole broad earth around
For that one heart which, leal and true,
Bears friendship without end or bound,
And find the prize in you.

I trust you as I trust the stars;
Nor cruel loss, nor scoff of pride
Nor beggary, nor dungeon bars,
Can move you from my side!

As patient under injury
As any Christian saint of old,
As gentle as a lamb with me,
But with your brothers bold.

More playful than a frolic boy,
More watchful than a sentinel,
By day and night your constant joy
To you guard and please me well.

I clasp your head upon my breast-
The while you whine and lick my hand-
And thus our friendship is confessed,
And thus we understand!

Ah, Blanco! Did I worship God
As truly as your worship me,
Or follow where my Master trod
With your humility,

Did I sit fondly as His feet,
As you, dear Blanco, sit at mine,
And watch Him with a love as sweet,
My life would grow divine!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home