Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Deer day

As a M.D. wisely put it, “If you don’t get a little bloody you’re not having any fun.” Proof for me ran red on Monday November 23rd. Sunday was Deer day when we ( husband and I) processed and stored our buck, but Monday, M.D.was fun day. Areas of coagulated blood around the bow wound of our deer, especially ran red. I washed, trimmed, sorted and cut up rejected pieces of meat and sinew in preparation for cooking them in the big dog (and cat) pot. A woman’s animal companions must not be forgotten, her taste buds having been addressed the previous day. I plunged deep into the red on Sunday, fun day, which required hours on my feet. Cooking was followed by snipping venison into bite size pieces and twist tying servings into plastic bags. (My husband helped). How many you ask? 26 bags full. Being a good stewardess of the land, parts unused in the boiling were pitched into the brush, recycled back into the circle of life of other carnivorous creatures in the wild. M.D. a deer day will be commemorated in future feasts for grateful beasts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home