Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Memorials

"Still though chaos
Works on the ancient plan;
Two things have changed not
Since first the world began,
The beauty of the wild green earth
And the bravery of man."
This was written by a 30 year old soldier killed in 1916 at the Battle of the Somme in World War I. This by a 23 year old in his poem, "Before Action."

"I, that on my familiar hill
Saw with uncomprehending eyes
A hundred of Thy sunsets spill
Their fresh and sanguine sacrifice,
Ere the sun swings his noonday sword
Must say good bye to all of this!
By all delights that I shall miss,
Help me to die, O Lord."

Thousands of memorials commemorate the dead of World War I:
A statue of a caribou calling out in anguish at Newfoundland’s losses.
A statue of a kilted Highlander.
A Celtic cross.
Massive pillars etched with 73,335 names
An obelisk with 4 miniature tanks.
A fence made from tank gun barrels and driving chains.
A sculpture of a struggling Castor and Pollux ( who became stars in the Gemini).
A red dragon sculpted in iron grasping a stand of barbed wire in its claw.
One surviving tree, a hornbeam, from a battle, maintained as a memorial.

Each is a memorial to battles and death at places like the river Ancre remembered by another poet.
"The struggling Ancre had no part
In these new hours of mine,
And yet its stream ran through my heart;
I heard it grieve and pine,
As if its rainy, tortured blood
Had swirled into my own,
When by its battered bank I stood
And shared its wounded moan."

SO WHY AMERICA HAVE WE NO MEMORIAL YET TO 9/11/01?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home