Thursday, July 09, 2009

To King of the Plains

From Walt Whitman I quote a tribute to the wild mustang. "Most famous in our Western annals and Indian traditions, is that of the White Steed of the Prairies; a magnificent milk-white charger, large-eyed, small-headed, bluff-chested, and with the dignity of a thousand monarchs in his lofty, over-scorning carriage. He was the elected Xerxes of vast herds of wild horses, whose pastures in those days were only fenced by the Rocky Mountains and the Alleghenies...The flashing cascade of his mane, the curving comet of his tail, invested him with housings more resplendent than gold-and silver-beaters could have furnished him."

From Buffalo Bill Cody I quote a farewell to his favorite mount Charlie. "Old fellow, your journeys are over...Obedient to my call, gladly you have bore your burden on, little knowing, little reckoning what the day might bring, shared sorrows and pleasures alike. Willing speed, tireless courage...you have never failed me. Ah Charlie, old fellow, I have had many friends, but few of whom I can say that... I loved you as you loved me. Men tell me you have no soul; but if there is a heaven and scouts can enter here, I’ll wait at the gate for you, old friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home