Wednesday, September 03, 2008

We're scr-----

No I’m not referring the pregnant daughter of Sarah Palin who may or may not become an unwed mother. I’m referencing the loss of academic purity. Minds are now as easy as virginity to waste. Learning has been lost to sports mania. Athletic achievement prostitutes itself on and off the playing fields at our primary and secondary schools.

There’s always a study to contradict a previous study - except when it relates to primary and secondary schools. The results of academic studies rarely vary; students learn less and less as they participate in extra-curricular sports venues more and more. Forget the mind; feed the body. A newly hired, local high school assistant principal breeds true to type. "Sport has been a big part of my life. And my wife and her family, and my children. .. As go the senior class, so goes the school. ... Evidence of success is those trophies in the hallway."

Dismissing schools early today at 1 p.m. for heat, doesn’t also cancel practices for or scheduled athletic competitions. Only the sports’ show goes on and on. I am sickened by it all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home