Wednesday, November 03, 2010

POLITICAL ADS

Two and a half pounds of flesh! Have they been extracted from a tree to provide the paper for political flyers that I received in the mail? 80 ‘cards’ totaling 2 ½ pounds arrived in my mail. Shame on me, I’ve not read one of them in its entirety. Most of them came from the contest for State Representative of district 85 between Peterson and Pryor and the Governor’s race between Strickland and Kasich. None arrived from the U.S. Senate race. Two arrived for early voting but past the cut-off date. Other cards represented races for Attorney General, Ohio Supreme Court, U.S. House and State Senate. ( I think I’ve tallied them all.) Since everything in America has gotten bigger and better, so have my ‘cards.’ Baby bear ‘cards’ measure 5 ½ x 11 inches. 8 ½ x 11 are momma bears, and a sole pappa bear ‘card’ measures 8 ½ x 13 inches. A nighttime slip on my door handle completed the family with a miniature pet pooch ‘card’ measuring 3 ½ x 8 ½ inches. How cost effective are these solicitations since I already knew how and why I would vote before the 1st card arrived? And why would I read them when each politician’s promises mimic another’s, when each politician is fighting for me and no politician’s claims can be believed? 2 ½ pounds of waste should shame the environmentalist. The ‘cards’ were illustrated with pretty red, white and blue colors, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home