Monday, March 30, 2009

The final four

The white horse represents pestilence; its rider carries a bow which symbolizes a victim shot down. The red horse represents war; its rider carries a sword again symbolizing a life cut short. The black horse represents famine; its rider carries scales symbolizing the balance lost between life and death. The pale green horse representing death is followed by Hades, the god of the Underworld who reminds victims to repent or they will be cast into Hell. These equines are the genuine ‘final four.’

Basketball and its ‘final four’ is to me just a useless sport catering exclusively to tall people who bounce and rebound a ball whose ultimate goal is to fall through a high hoop. I say, a pox on the inventor of this game. I say the race to the final four and the quest for the championship in the NCAA. are like war raging across the world’s TV screens. I say spectators are starved of reason and reasonableness. Death, I say, to the worship of tall, mostly black, competitors who otherwise have no ‘life’ in the real world. My method of termination of this sport has been to deny its existence. By denying the sound of thundering hooves in the distance gradually coming closer and closer bent upon my destruction, I deny its reality.

Also to prove that I am never too old to learn a new tidbit, in today’s rumination I realized that Katherine Anne Porter’s Pale Horse in her short story, "Pale Horse, Pale Rider," refers to the pale green horse of death followed by Hades in Apocalypse, the last book of the New Testament also called Revelation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home