Monday, December 29, 2008

How they die

2008 statistics for a local hospice show that 148 patients were served. The average length of stay was 59 days; the average age was 74. Diagnostics of these patients show 39 pathologies: lung cancer led the way with 28 followed by debility with 15, Alzheimers with 9 and congestive heart failure, renal disease and colon cancer with 8 causes of death. 20 physicians contributed their time and talent to this hospice. As most Americans know, hospices provide a wonderful way ‘to go’ into eternity. How do my local numbers compare with fatalities around the globe just within the past two days? In Palestine the toll is over 300, in Pakistan, 36, Kabul 14 (children) and Iraq l ( or more). When I hear a news reporter warn me about the ‘winter blues’ in states like mine that will experience 12 more weeks of winter, I want to take my radio out with a mortal attack. Please! Let’s talk about worthwhile and real issues. People die every day. Some with dignity; some in ignominy. Some ignominy is of the victim’s own doing or calling, but all loss of life calls for a few tears. I knew this on Christmas morn as I buried a cat companion of over 13 years. My hospice served his needs and in return he blessed me with his deeds. Let’s face it, no death is a blessing in disguise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home