Tuesday, December 09, 2008

7 druthers

Here in fly-over land, I can confirm the melting pot in America still simmers. I am surrounded on my lane by 7 disparate lifestyles which include myself and my neighbors. For the most part, each homestead minds its own businesses. Acquaintance rather than friend defines my relationship with 5 of the 6 residences. Alphabetically, B is disabled, F, retired, L, self-employed, L (and L), retired, M (and M) retired, P employed (and P), and S, employed. The labels can be expanded to B, middle-aged, disabled but hardest worker and most physically active ( I don’t ask), F, senior citizen, retired but least physically active, L, middle-aged, self-employed, well-known locally with well-trafficked business, L and L, aged pair of seniors, both dealing with recurring health issues, M and M, seniors retired but most interested in fresh air activity and mental refreshment, P and P, middle-aged couple, an employed male adverse to physical exertion but complemented by stay-at-home mom with 12 cats who rescues and rehabilitates rejected felines, and S, middle-aged, divorcee, employed mom with a 30-something dress code, who never stays at home. I note further distinguishing features like potent ingredients in a stew. B’s the renter is a smoking fiend ( compensating for the six smoke-free homes. F’s fond of Schwans food offerings. L packs heat and uses it. L and L dispel mutual loneliness. M and M depend on each other to the exclusion of all others. P and P function separately. S dispensed with a man. For B, F, L and S, marriage is not the option picked up by L, M and P. Only B has opted out of home ownership. To F, L, P and S, country living is irrelevant; to B, L and M it’s intrinsic. The preferences of these 7 can be further broken down in the area of motor trips out and back down my lane. B holds the record for one day at 40 something. F ventures forth often but rarely for long. L, with 2 vehicles, definitely doubles his fun by being obtrusive especially for frequent business trips and for meal trips 3 times each day. L and L travel only for family visits, shopping or health reasons. M and M mostly stay at home. P and P with 2 vehicles manage to remain unobtrusive. S uses the automobile for daily flights to nowhere? I dislike both gluttonous writing and gluttonous driving. I may claim I have a right to not have my vista impeded by continuous automotive traffic, but my claim does not include a duty on the part of my neighbors to respect it. So I’m left here to do my duty and watch the melting pot simmers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home