Thursday, March 01, 2012

Misery Index

Over time, I have become ‘fed up’ with the WSJ, it’s catering to the elite, snobbery and the 1%. Why continue to subscribe? My better half still sees value in it. That said, I point out the recent “Wait-time Misery Index” article. Waiting for the cable guy or the furniture delivery must be matters of consequence to the rich and famous. Deeply disturbing to their important routines and lifestyles, the problem must be explored and solutions suggested. For the 1%, time is money or leisure, I guess. I see it as a sign of ease and self-absorption.

Call me a poor sport, but matters of consequence are pointed out in the “Little Prince,” by Saint-Exupery, not in the WSJ’s personal journal, weekend or off-duty sections. I wonder why readers and patrons of the WSJ would splurge on any person, place or thing profiled on their pages.

In contrast to problems with anxiety for the wealthy, America’s mainstream seems to have no problem with nonsense such as represented by our local Mayor Coleman of Columbus. In a speech commemorating the bi-centennial of Ohio, his speech writer ( I doubt the phrase originated with Mr. Coleman himself ), soared to the height of rhetoric claiming that Ohio is on “the precipice of a renaissance.” Living in this state, I can tell you we are about to fall off the proverbial cliff having never seen a renewal of prosperity or morality. I cannot ignore the impossibility of his contradiction.

Speaking of contradiction, it’s the essence of reality. Salami and cheese, turkey and cheese are unacceptable lunches for a 4 yr old in today’s schools according to our liberal administration. Yet, for me, cream cheese and jelly ( or P.J. and jelly) were mainstays of childhood’s yummy nutrition. Fried chicken, biscuits, potato salad and apple pie were good enough for Rev. Billy Graham’s picnic dinners but they now represent old-fashioned unhealthy choices for politically-correct restaurants.

Us vs. them. The 1% vs. the 99%. The wealthy vs. the mainstream. Are we are letting them, the 1%, the wealthy dictate our behavior? NOT ME!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home