Thursday, February 12, 2009

No hope from change

Contrary to my hope that reading would be necessary in 21st century America, I face proof to the contrary in today’s newspaper. First, I cannot pronounce - i.e. read - the name of the writer of an article regarding energy efficient appliances - Anjali Athavaley. Indian I know is the language of origin, but I’m clueless and care less about pronouncing his or her name. Second, in the present push for a ‘green revolution,’ reading information and numbers is unnecessary because knowledge now would give me the power to act foolishly.

The purchase of a $1,299 washer will save the consumer $90 a year over 10 years (the supposed life of the appliance). Subtracting $900 from the original price, with a calculator which nowadays has negated the need for even grammar school math, I am left with $399. Isn’t $399 the price of a non-energy efficient washer which will also last 10 years? My initial outlay would be $900 less than for a ‘green’ purchase. My $900 could be wisely used elsewhere. The devil is further in the details one of which includes the fact that the laundering capacity of a $1,299 machine is far less than that of a $399 ‘economy’ swisher. Or do washers swish anymore? Who cares? I care that my money not be wasted. Washed down the drain tube, so to speak. Obviously, economic self-interest negates the need for me to read about environmentally friendly living. Obviously, common sense tells me that more unintelligible and unpronouncable names will enter America’s lexicon even as I avoid trying to pronounce them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home