Friday, May 02, 2008

60's

"Then I began to think that it is very true which is commonly said, that the one half of the world knows not how the other half liveth." 1495 - 1553 Francois Rabelais.

"Half the world knows not how the other half lives." 1593 - 1632 George Herbert

Within a hundred years of each other both men proved what I have contended all along after considering both sides of the issue of the 1960's revolution in America. On the one side, LSD remains the hallucinogenic symbol of the times. Many tired of the 60's want LSD a symbol of the hope to ‘Let the Sixties Die.’ I take the other side. I say, let the 60's live. For me and for half of the American world, it was the best of times. In the 60's I reached for and snatched the dreamed-of star of romance, the hoped-for child, the studied-for career and the happy life, oblivious to the immoral madness swirling around me. Above ground I felt the ideal. Underground and down South conditions were far from ideal, but they incrementally improved over time. In 2008, our democracy has reached pinnacles of constitutional and cultural equalities, but the very revolutionaries and critics of the status quo who fought for change in the 60's now preach the end of life as we know it due to global warming. They will never learn! They persist in drives to revolutionize our culture. Those in my half of the 60's world can’t understand how the other half lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home